Monday, October 22, 2007

Mugging

Received this email from a friend of mine:

Date: Oct 22, 2007 9:15 AM
Subject: Mugged AGAIN...so send me your contact info


This time the dude got my purse with my cell phone in it. He had a gun, so I decided not to chase after him this time ;o).

Just a security/you're never safe in this damn world heads up... I was walking up 19th street a little before 9pm on a Sunday night. I had just parked my car between Vernon and California on 19th. Tina and I had gone to dinner in Gtown, and I was driving her home, since I didn't want to worry about her walking home at night alone - even though it was early, and it is a neighborhood that she's lived in for probably 5-6 years and that I had lived in and felt safe in for the 2 years that I was living on 19th (we got mugged about a block from my old apt). Tina and I got out of the car to walk up the hill - we were going to stop by Eric, Adam, and Adam's place on the way (my old apt), to say hi and to pick up the umbrella that I had left at their place the night before. As we were walking, we saw this sketchy dude walk towards us - we both had been thinking, ick, he is going to hit on us, as he looked oddly at us. My post-mugging paranoia kicked in and I stopped trying to put my car keys in my purse, and just tucked my purse under my arm. We continued walking and after he passed us he must have just turned around. Next thing I know I heard the noise of a cell phone - so I knew someone was close, but was like good, he'll not bother us, since he has a call. Then I he says something like "ladies, you're going to have to give me those." Tina had turned around first and had already given him her purse, and as I turned I see the gun - kind of blatantly out there, I threw my purse at him and kept my car keys in my other hand. Then the dude proceeds to saunter up the street - totally inconspicuous aside from the 2 ladies handbags under his arm.

I know so many of you live in like a 3 block radius of that spot - mostly ladies. I really don't know what to tell you - we were not alone, we were certainly not intoxicated, it was reasonably well lit, and it was fairly early on a Sunday night. There were actually ppl not that far away from us as well - the first time the guy came by us, there were other ppl walking by a bit before then. Since he had a gun, neither of us screamed or made any sort of ruckus, so they just proceeded to 19th and Florida without any clue. As many of you know (and often laugh about) the last time I was mugged (about 3 months ago early in the evening on a Friday night (9pmish) after I had driven to a party since I wanted to get home early and was not going to drink) I chased the dude and got my purse back - it was kind of freaky, but the dude didn't have a gun. That night there were a few more ppl around and that is what also gave me the confidence to yell for help and chase after him. I really don't know what to think or do about this all. I intentionally drove Tina home to ensure safety. The policewoman that worked on our case suggested that I get mace, but I just thought that mace would be a bad idea vs. a gun for a mugging...however, if he were going to rape us or kill us, it would not have hurt to have tried.

My only take aways:

1). Keep your keys and cell phone in your pocket if you are a gal. Dudes luck out that they just can throw their wallet or some spare cash that they have in their pockets at muggers - we give them everything in our adorable little purses.

2). When you are out with friends and someone goes home alone - totally bring back the buddy system of calling or texting each other when you get home. I do this with some of my friends. In this case, neither Tina nor I have our cells anymore, so I guess that is a pretty good sign that your friend did not make in home completely a-okay.

3). Memorize important cell phone numbers.

4). Don't carry a ton of cards in your purse.

5). If you lived in DC and move to VA, don't come back to DC. They can smell your betrayal.


So that's my rant as I wait for the locksmith and am missing work :o(.

Well, here's my rant: Let people carry concealed guns. Telling people to carry mace is an insult. It's plain the criminals are armed and dangerous, so let's arm the law-abiding.

Oh, and while people are out getting mugged I had about 6 members of the DCPD arrive uninvited at my house last weekend to break up a party for excessive noise.

No comments: