Thursday, May 07, 2009

McGovern and EFCA

Liberal stalwart and former presidential candidate George McGovern has reaffirmed his opposition to the mis-named Employee Free Choice Act. He reveals that this is partly due to his experience running a hotel, where he was on the receiving end of government legislation that he helped push for:
My perspective on the so-called Employee Free Choice Act is informed by life experience. After leaving the Senate in 1981, I spent some time running a hotel. It was an eye-opening introduction to something most business operators are all-too familiar with -- the difficulty of controlling costs and setting prices in a weak economy. Despite my trust in government, I would have been alarmed by an outsider taking control of basic management decisions that determine success or failure in a business where I had invested my life savings.
It's funny what happens sometimes when left-wing beliefs collide with reality.

No comments: