Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Accidental tea party participation

On my way to the Russell Senate office building yesterday I ran into -- what else -- a tea party protest. I had no idea. Of course I had decided to leave my camera at home, so I can't provide any visuals. Reports and pictures from the event can be found here, here and here.

Not much to add except that I didn't see a single sign which referenced President Obama being an alleged Muslim or being born outside the country. I saw one sign with biblical scripture being quoted and one about illegal immigration. More common were Sarah Palin stickers, signs and buttons.

The overwhelming majority of signs and messages, however, were devoted solely to economic issues such as taxes, spending, cap and trade and -- of course -- health care. The notion that these people are motivated by a hatred of certain racial groups, immigrants or other social issues is hard to square with the actual rhetoric being espoused.

No comments: