Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration 2009

So I went. Armed with a press pass provided courtesy of a Dutch TV news crew -- that proved completely unnecessary -- and my girlfriend's high end camera I walked down to the Mall to witness history and change and stuff.

Here is some of what I saw:

Throngs make their way to the gathering.

Some people accented their Obama gear with actual U.S. flags.

"Me God" -- heh.

It was cold and for the most part boring, seeing retreads such as Tom Foley and Dan Quayle slowly file in and take their seats for about an hour and a half before the swearing in actually took place. The crowd was predictably partisan, jeering Dick Cheney while reserving cheers for liberal luminaries such as Al Gore and Jimmy Carter. Via the Drudge Report I saw this story about the booing of President George W Bush:
The crowd packed on the west side of the Capitol grounds serenaded President Bush in mocking fashion when he took to the inaugural stage alongside Vice President Dick Cheney.

"Nah nah nah nah, hey hey, good-bye," a section of the crowd chanted.
I can assure you that such classless behavior was not restricted to that section of the crowd. Here is a video I took of the area I stood near the Washington monument:



Now, some might say that this is just part and parcel of an inauguration, but I was at the inauguration of George W. Bush eight years ago and can remember that some people who booed Clinton were shushed by others for being impolite. I heard nothing of the kind today.

Indeed, while I expected enthusiasm about the new President I was taken aback and discouraged by the hero worship that Obama elicits among his supporters. They wore hats, shirts, and jackets with his likeness printed on them and chanted his name with abandon. Now, I can remember Republicans wearing some Bush buttons and hats and knick-nacks during the last inauguration I attended, but this was a completely different level. How people can idolize a politician, especially one with as thin a record as Obama, is beyond me. I can't think of a single person, must less an elected official, I would regard in such a fashion.

Obama's speech was fine, but gave me no better idea of who the man is. He gave nods to the power of the marketplace but also the need for government intrusion. He spoke of the power of the individual but also the need for collective action. He described America as being in the throes of a desperate crisis but also the most powerful nation on earth that remains capable of anything. It's rhetoric that appeared to walk on both sides of the street.

In any case the era of the Obama Administration is now upon us and we shall see where the rubber meets the road. Thus far he has been something of an enigma but now we will see his true colors as rhetoric collides with reality.

Just as I applauded his speech's conclusion with sincere thanks, I now wish him luck for the task at hand. He's no longer just a celebrity, he's the President of the United States.

No comments: